North East Locality Improvement Plan
North East Locality Information
The North East Locality covers 4 ward areas, Leith, Leith Walk, Craigentinny/Duddingston and Portobello/Craigmillar.
The population of the area is 116,626. This includes 15,485 people over the age of 65 and 16,510 children under 16 years of age.
- major regeneration projects, including the St James Quarter, the Waterfront, and Edinburgh BioQuarter
- large student housing growth
- extension of the trams to Newhaven
- new models of collaborative working e.g. Community Renewal: Lifting Neighbourhoods Together project
- large numbers of adults without qualifications, leading to higher levels of unemployment
- projected to be the second fastest growing locality with 9% growth by 2022 mainly focussed in Leith and Craigmillar
- lowest rate of owner-occupation (53%) combined with a high rate of tenement properties (75%)
- highest percentage of people with long-term health problems that limit day-to-day activity
The revised priorities
- Provide targeted support and early interventions for young people and their families who are most in need in order to improve their access to opportunities which lead to positive destinations and help to maximise income
- Enable access to health and wellbeing opportunities, activities and social networks for people who are vulnerable and in poverty in order to restore, maintain or improve their quality of life and social connectedness
- Support and strengthen communities where poverty is highest to improve and maintain inclusive, safe and welcoming places to live